Lucinda Darling Colman
Lucinda Darling Colman (1835-1930) was one of three women in the first class to graduate from Lawrence University in 1857. She wrote this account of her life in her late eighties and nineties, from about 1920 to 1930. In this work, she recalls Lawrence in its earliest days, including memories of classes and student activities, the Academy building fire in 1857, and the first Commencement ceremony. She also recounts her family history; her childhood in Brockport, New York and Racine, Wisconsin; her marriage to Henry Colman and raising their four children; and her extensive travels around the country from 1906 to 1923. Her travels included a trip to California that coincided with the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 as well as trips to the eastern United States, during which she saw Andrew Carnegie speak and met President Taft.
Henry Colman, also a Lawrence graduate of 1857, was a Methodist minister and a Lawrence trustee from 1871 until his death in 1927. Both he and Lucinda remained actively involved in supporting Lawrence throughout their lives. Colman Hall, constructed in 1956, was named in honor of Lucinda.
William Harkness Sampson
William Harkness Sampson (1808-1902) was Principal and the primary financial agent of Lawrence University from the beginning of classes in 1849 until1853, during the time that the institution operated only as a preparatory school. He came to the Wisconsin Territory in 1842, where he worked as a Methodist minister. He was named Presiding Elder of the Green Bay Mission District in 1844. While serving in this position, he was approached by Amos Lawrence’s agents and became involved in the founding of Lawrence Institute. Following his resignation as principal and agent in 1853, he was a faculty member for several years longer and served on the Board of Trustees until 1884. The date of his written account of the early history of Lawrence is unknown.
William Francis Raney
viii, 493 pages. William Francis Raney, David G. Ormsby Professor of European History, was on the faculty at Lawrence University from 1920 to 1955. He researched and wrote this extensive history of Lawrence University between the time of his retirement in 1955 and his death in 1962. Marshall Hulbert '26 prepared the work for printing and a limited run was published by Lawrence University in 1984.
Lawrence, volume 52, issue 3. From the introduction: "Lawrence is preparing another birthday celebration, the 125th, and though the individuals and activities have changed, the same mood of optimistic excitement prevails. To discover the how and the why of these changes and this mood, LAWRENCE invited five faculty members who were celebrants at the 100th anniversary to reflect upon the events and the discussions which have taken place during the last 25 years." Participants in this discussion included Dorothy Draheim, registrar; Anne P. Jones, professor of French; Bernard Heselton, professor of physical education; Marshall B. Hulbert, administrator; and James Ming, professor of music.